Teacher´s Comments:

Gracias is a small town that truly welcomes Minerva teachers with open
arms. While it sits off of the traditional tourist path, it offers a
unique glimpse into traditional Honduran living. English is rarely
used in the streets, but fear not, many Minerva teachers have found
that a smile and enthusiastic arm motioning goes a long way! But for
me, it has been a great environment to refine my Spanish skills and
locals love watching you limp through a conversation with whatever
Spanish you can offer.

Minerva itself is a microcosm of the Gracias community. The school is
family-owned which breeds a level of intimacy between the teachers and
the administration. The owner of the school understands the
difficulties of adapting to a new environment, and is eager to help
make the transition easier. The local teachers really enjoy
interacting with you and have been great partners for me to practice
my Spanish. But most importantly, my Minerva experience has been
defined by my class. My students are intelligent, inquisitive, kind
and genuinely interested in learning. When I think back on this year,
I am reminded of the countless memories I shared with them. From
Children’s Day and the Independence Day parade in the fall to Summer
Days and graduation practices this spring, my class has been the
highlight of my life here in Honduras.


I am sad to leave my students, and Gracias, but I look forward to
visiting soon! Please email me at caroleashley@gmail.com if you have
any questions that I can answer!

Que la via bien!
Carole Wilson (Prepa Teacher 2011-2012)
Read More